1. ANSA.it
  2. English
  3. Sports
  4. Tennis: Berrettini to miss Wimbledon with COVID

Tennis: Berrettini to miss Wimbledon with COVID

Heartbroken says last year's finalist over coronavirus diagnosis

(ANSA) - ROME, JUN 28 - Last year's beaten finalist Matteo Berrettini of Italy will miss this year's Wimbledon Championships after contracting COVID-19, the Roman tennis player said on his Instagram profile Tuesday.
    "I am heartbroken to announce that I need to withdraw from @wimbledon due to a positive COVID-19 test result," said the 26-year-old world number 11, who lost to Serb legend Novak Djokovic in last year's final after becoming the first Italian to get that far.
    Berrettini, seeded eighth after recently returning from a hand injury to win Stuttgart and Queens, was among the favourites for the title this year.
    "I have had flu symptoms and been isolating the last few days.
    Despite symptoms not being severe, I decided it was important to take another test this morning to protect the health and safety of my fellow competitors and everyone else involved in the tournament.
    "I have no words to describe the extreme disappointed I feel.
    "The dream is over for this year, but I will be back stronger.
    "Thank you for the support (ANSA).
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA


Change cookie consent